And welcome to my first post in 2017!
I have had a few people saying that my blog is so good and they wish their blog was so good. I am so grateful to have such nice followers but I still want to say that it doesn’t happen overnight and no blogger is perfect. Every time I write a blog post I still feel like a beginner, scared if the post is good enough. To have a successful blog you need to practise, you can’t be like bloggers who have had their blog for years, in one day. So I wanted to do a blog post on How to start your blog.
- Firstly you have to find a platform to start your blog on. Personally, I find WordPress to be a great platform. It runs smoothly and is pretty easy to make a good looking blog on when you have the hang of it. You can use other platforms like Blogger or Weebly. I find that WordPress is the best but that depends on everyone’s tastes.
- You also have to remember that your blog won’t look like blogs from famous people. That’s the fun thing. Every blog looks different in its unique way. Like people, it would be boring if all blogs looked the same. So don’t try to copy other blogs too much. I know this is easier said than done, it is hard to not copy other blogs. When I started blogging I was looking at other blogs thinking “I wish my blog looked as good as that.” In the end, I stuck to my theme (Sela) and didn’t change. Still today I sometimes want to change my blog completely so it looks like someone else’s blog.
- It will take time before people visit your blog. I think in the first two months I had like 9 people following me. You can’t expect many people visiting your site in the first month, but don’t give up. The longer you have your blog, the more people will want to follow you.
- Get creative – I think the worst thing that could happen is having a writing block. I have had a few writing blocks where for a week or so I had no idea on what to write. When I’m in that situation, the first thing I try to think about is “What has happened in my life recently?” This normally gives me a few ideas because my blog is a lifestyle blog (and photography but that doesn’t matter in this context). Which brings us to the next point.
- Find a theme for your blog – It is important to stick to a theme for your blog. People with the same interest will start reading your blog and are more likely to follow you. If you change the subject at every post it won’t always attract the same people. Some may like beauty and if you write about beauty every time they will continue reading it. But if one post is about beauty then the next one about computer simulation they will stop reading because they are not interested in computer simulation. Sometimes it is hard to find a theme for your blog. But it is crucial that the theme you chose is something you like. (This part is a bit obvious.) There are many themes you can choose from. In fact, anything you like.
So that was it! Hopefully, some of these tips are helpful for people thinking of starting a blog.
XOXO, Rosie <3